Friday 24 May 2013

Top Visitor Attraction Acknowledges Volunteers

House Steward
National Volunteer Week, 1 – 7 June, recognises the hard work and dedication of volunteers across the country, including an army of volunteers working at Harewood House, visitor attraction and educational charitable Trust in Leeds.

The volunteers are the life-blood of Harewood, generously giving their time to support the work that Harewood Trust does and sharing their passion and interest for Harewood. Many of the team of volunteers have worked at Harewood for a number of years, acquiring anecdotes and tales as if the House were their own.  Harewood is an educational charitable Trust that relies entirely on its own endeavours to meet its funding needs and volunteers make a significant contribution in enabling the Trust to deliver a first class service to its visitors. There are endless volunteer opportunities at Harewood, ranging from Room Stewards, Shuttle Drivers, Gardeners, Bird Garden Rangers to Bookshop Helpers. In return, volunteers receive free admission to Harewood House and grounds, and help to preserve one of Britain’s most historic treasure houses.

Chief Executive of Harewood House Mike Schafer comments:-

“The 2012 London Olympics has drawn attention to the value of volunteers; although not on the same scale, we have welcomed volunteers for over 20 years. They are an integral part of the team, providing an exceptional experience for our visitors and ensuring they enjoy their day.”
Volunteer co-ordinator Richard Brice comments:-
“Our diverse group of volunteers keeps Harewood running smoothly. They are a pleasure to work with and being new to the team myself, I’m continually surprised by their vast knowledge and enthusiasm for Harewood. We like to appreciate and recognise their hard work each day, as well as on this special week.”

Shannon Cross, University student and Room Steward explains:-

“I was lucky enough to visit many historic houses as a child and my interest grew when I studied Country Houses in GCSE History. I’ve been hooked ever since, and in fact my GCSE history teacher is now a Tour Guide in the House. Volunteering at Harewood has inspired me to further my studies at Leeds University, and I am currently earning my degree in History of Art with Museum Studies. I would definitely recommend volunteering at Harewood as it is a chance to keep this history alive, meet new friends, gain experience and confidence.”

Tracey Watkins, working mother and Senior Volunteer Gardener said:-

“I started volunteering to get some ‘me time’ away from the children. I can really recommend it for all parents, it’s very therapeutic with no clocks and no four walls. I’ve been volunteering at Harewood for 12 years now alongside my day job, and it’s turning out to be a new career plan for me. The camaraderie in the gardens is great; I’ve made a lot of friends over the years.”


To see the full range of volunteering opportunities at Harewood, visit www.harewood.org/join-the-team

No comments:

Post a Comment